491 Visa

A visa granted to skilled individuals nominated by a state or territory government to live and work in regional Australia.

What exactly is the 491 Visa?

The 491 visa allows skilled workers to stay in an Australian regional area for up to five years.

To apply for this visa, you must be invited. You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).

Holders of a 491 visa can:

  • Spend up to five years living, working, and studying in Australia. Include immediate family members.
  • Research in Australia
  • Permanent residency transition (if eligible)

Sponsorship or Nomination

You must be nominated or sponsored by an eligible relative of an Australian state or territory government agency.

Get 65 points.

To receive an invitation to apply for this visa, you must score 65 points. Make a point total.


You must be under 45 years old to be invited to apply for the visa, which means you can still apply even if you turn 45 after receiving the invitation.

If you reach the age of 45 after submitting your EOI and have not received an invitation, you will not receive one.

Evaluation of Skills

Unless you are exempt, you must have a positive skill assessment in your nominated occupation from the relevant assessing authority.

If you are a medical or legal practitioner, you may be exempt.


To apply for this visa, you must have at least competent English.

Character & Health

You must be in good health and have a good character (unless you are exempt).

Do you want to apply for the Skilled Work Regional 491 Visa?

The Australian Skilled Work Provisional Visa Subclass 491 is an excellent pathway to permanent residency in Australia, with those who have been living and working on the visa in regional Australia frequently becoming eligible for the 191 Visa after three years. Of course, there are several procedures to follow, and it is critical that all of your paperwork is in order to give you the best chance of success in your application. As a result, working with a reputable dependable migration expert throughout the application process is always a good idea.

The Benefits of Going with Australian Skilled Migration for Your 491 Visa

Since we began assisting skilled overseas workers in obtaining the visas they require to come and work in Australia, we have grown to become one of the most trusted names in the industry. We can assure our clients that they are working with the best in the industry because we have a team of highly qualified and experienced migration agents who are all fully registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority.

On our website, you will find a wealth of useful tools and information to assist you in determining whether the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa Subclass 491 is the best option for you and, more importantly, how to prepare a solid application that will be accepted by immigration authorities.

Contact Us for More Information on Obtaining Your 491 Visa in Australia.

If you require any information that is not available on our website or have any questions about how the process works, please contact our helpful team. We will gladly advise you on the best course of action and provide you with a personalized quote that is tailored to your specific situation.

There are numerous other visa options, including the sponsorship visa and the 482 TSS Visa Program. Please contact us if you require any additional information about your migration options to Australia.

Applying for a 491 (Provisional) Visa

If you meet the following requirements, you may be able to apply for a 491 Visa:


Your occupation must be on the list of qualified skilled occupations.
To demonstrate that you have the skills and qualifications to work in your chosen occupation, you must successfully complete a skill assessment through an authorized assessing authority.


You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in order to be invited to apply for this visa.

A minimum of 65 points is required to be invited to apply. However, invitations are frequently issued to applicants with more than 65 points.

The most recent invitation round highlights the point scores that drew invitations. Some occupations also require more than 65 points to be considered.

When you are invited to apply for the visa, you must meet the points score eligibility.

Make a point total.


You can demonstrate competent English, but additional points will be awarded for proficient and superior English scores.

Improve your English skills by enrolling in an online English academy.


You must be under 45 years old to be invited to apply for the visa, which means you can still apply even if you turn 45 after receiving the invitation.


You must be in good health and have a good character.

How long will it take for your 491 visa to be approved?

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491) – Nominated by State/Territory Government Regional:

75% of visas are processed within 58 days.
90% of visas are processed within 76 days.

Regional Skilled Work (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491) – Family-Sponsored Regional:

75% of visas are processed within 57 days.
90% of visas are processed within 71 days.

Subclass 491 Visa Applicants may include the following individuals in their 491 visa application:

  • Dependent children/stepchildren
  • Companion


Your married or de facto partner can be of either sex. Applicants must demonstrate that:

  • the relationship is genuine and ongoing; and
  • you live together or do not live apart on a permanent basis.
  • your partner is at least 18 years old at the time the application is submitted (there are some exceptions)
  • You are not related by blood or marriage (if you are in a de facto relationship)
  • You and your partner have made a mutual commitment to a shared life at the expense of all others.


A child must meet the following requirements to be included or added to this visa:

  • be your child or a stepchild from a current or previous relationship (under certain conditions);
  • not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
    under 18 years of age or
  • over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner or
  • over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner.
  • a dependent child of a child who meets the criteria in 1, 2, or 3 above.


All members of the family must meet certain health and character requirements. All applicants over the age of 16 are required to provide police clearances.

If you want to apply for another employer-sponsored or skilled visa, you may be eligible for one of the visas listed below:

  • 482 TSS Visa
  • 186 (ENS) Visa
  • 189 Visa
  • 190 Visa
  • 494 Visa

If you would like more information about the 491 visa subclass or to speak with a registered migration agent about your Australian visa eligibility, please click here to schedule a consultation.