189 Visa

The 189 visa is a permanent visa with points for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer.

The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is a permanent visa with points for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer, family member, or state or territory.

The Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa allows skilled workers to permanently relocate to Australia.

189 Visa holders can:

  • apply while in or outside of Australia.
  • work and study anywhere in Australia.
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence. and
  • apply for Australian citizenship (If eligible)

The Advantages of a Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 Visa

The Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 provides a number of excellent benefits to those who want to move permanently to Australia to start a new life. Unlike some other visas that require new residents to relocate to the state or territory that sponsored them, the 189 Visa allows you to live, work, and study wherever you want in Australia.

You can also sponsor family members to accompany you, get free schooling for your children, and apply for home loans, Medicare, and Centrelink social security. Moreover, unlike many visas that require you to have an existing job offer, the Skilled Migration 189 Visa allows you to legally move to Australia based solely on your skills and ability to meet the necessary points threshold.

Why Should You Use Australian Skilled Migration to Apply for a Permanent Skilled Migration Visa to Australia?

We have over 50 years of experience in the Australian recruitment industry at Australian Skilled Migration. Our founder realized the importance of being able to recruit from overseas in 2004, and ASM was founded in 2010. We are committed to being the most trusted and respected international recruiter and migration partner for those looking to relocate to and work in Australia, and our highly trained and experienced team works tirelessly to ensure our clients’ success.

Begin today with a quote, webinar, or consultation.

You can find out if the permanent skilled migration visa Australia provides is the right visa option for you by contacting our friendly team, who are always happy to answer your questions and help you in any way they can. With our assistance, you will be well on your way to obtaining your Subclass 189 Visa with minimal stress and hassle.

There are numerous other visa options, such as an Employer-Sponsored Visa or a Skilled Migrant Visa. Please contact us if you require any additional information about your migration options to Australia.

The 189 visa is a permanent visa with points for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer.

Applicants for a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) must obtain a minimum of 65 points on the point assessment.

You must submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by SkillSelect to apply for this visa.

You have 60 days after receiving an invitation to apply for this visa to submit your application.

Once granted, the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent) holder and accompanying family members can live, work and study in Australia as permanent residents.

For obtaining a 189 Visa

Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa:

  • have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list.
  • successfully complete a skill assessment for the relevant occupation.
  • have competent English. and
  • score at least 65 points. Make a point total.
  • be asked to apply

Eligibility for 189 Visas

If you meet the following requirements, you may be able to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa:

Skills & Occupation

Your occupation must be on the list of qualified skilled occupations.

To demonstrate that you have the skills and qualifications to work in your chosen occupation, you must successfully complete a skill assessment through an authorized assessing authority.

Test of Points & Invitation

You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in order to be invited to apply for this visa.

A minimum of 65 points is required to be invited to apply. However, invitations are frequently issued to applicants with more than 65 points.

The most recent invitation round highlights the point scores that drew invitations. Some occupations also require more than 65 points to be considered.

When you are invited to apply for the visa, you must meet the points score eligibility.

Make a total.


You can demonstrate at least competent English, but additional points will be awarded for proficient and superior English scores.

Improve your English skills by enrolling in an online English academy.


When you receive an invitation to apply, you are under the age of 45.

Health and Behavior

You must be in good health and have a good character.

You may be able to apply for the New Zealand Stream 189 Visa instead if you are a New Zealand citizen.

Check out the processing times.

Applicants for a 189 visa may be able to include the family members listed below in their application.

-> Dependent children/stepchildren -> Dependent child or children of partner -> Partner


Your married or de facto partner can be of either sex. Applicants must demonstrate that:

  • the relationship is genuine and ongoing
  • your partner is at least 18 years old at the time the application is submitted (there are some exceptions)
  • You are not related by blood or marriage (if you are in a de facto relationship)
  • you and your partner have made a mutual commitment to a shared life at the expense of all others, and
  • you live together or do not live separately on a permanent basis.


A child must:

  • be your child or a stepchild from a current or previous relationship (in certain circumstances).
  • not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner. and be.
  • under 18 years of age.
  • over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner.
  • over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations,
  • a dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2, or 3 above.


Applicants over the age of 18 are required to demonstrate functional English. If you:

  • have a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland, you can demonstrate functional English without taking an English test.
  • have completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside of Australia, with all instruction in English; or
  • have completed at least five years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside of Australia, with all instruction in English.
  • have completed at least one year of full-time or equivalent part-time study in an Australian institution for a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma, with all instructions in English.
  • have a degree, a higher degree, a diploma, or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside of Australia, with all instructions in English.

Exception for English

You can pay an additional application fee for family members who do not speak English well.

Health and Behavior

All members of the family must meet certain health and character requirements. All applicants over the age of 16 are required to provide police clearances.

How does it work?

Step 1

Check to see if your occupation is on the skilled list and you have a score of 65 or higher.

Step 2

Our migration agents file your expression of interest with the Department of Immigration.

Step 3

We await the Department's invitation to apply for your visa.

Step 4

Our experts will file your visa and communicate with the department until a decision is reached.

Step 5

After receiving your visa approval, you and your family relocate to Australia.