Work Visa

There are several visa options that allow businesses to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia. They are:

Temporary Business Sponsorship (457 visa)
Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 457) visa is a temporary visa that allows businesses based either in Australia or overseas to sponsor workers for the period of up to 4 years. Only specific occupations are eligible for 457 visas and employees must be paid Australian market rates.

Employer Nomination Scheme (186 visa-ENS)
The Employer Nomination Scheme is a permanent visa that requires the nominating employer to be operating in Australia. The employee needs to show a higher level of skill than for a 457 visa, but otherwise the criteria are broadly similar to the 457 visa.There are certain requirements for the applicant to satisfy such as Nominated Position must be on eligible occupation list, Employer lawfully operating in Australia, position must be for two years, Training requirements, genuine need for position along with some other requirements.

  • See: IMMI17/080  Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities—Subclass 186 Visa


Regional Sponsored Skilled Migration Scheme (187 Visa-RSMS)
The RSMS visa is a permanent visa that requires a job offer in regional Australia. The position needs to be approved by a Regional Certifying Body (RCB) but otherwise the skill level criteria are lower than for an ENS visa. The resulting RSMS visa is subject to cancellation if the employee leaves employment within 2 years of obtaining the visa.